Monday, June 20, 2005

So Bizarre

http://www.runescape.com

This game has the simplest graphics of any MMORPG I know.

But you know what? It's still pretty darn fun.
It's actually pretty cool, it runs out of your web browser and it's Java based. It's like the first worthwhile Java app I've ever seen. Sorry.

And it's Free.

Think UO without a subscription, and simplified. From what I hear, they've got like 250,000 users, which is huge for a non-off-the-shelf online game. Unfortunately, the idiocy of gamers still saturates this world.

My favorite experience in the game so far has been this:

When you die, you lose all your gear on you, and you have to run to pick all your stuff up before someone else grabs it.

So my guy, Hernia Bob, is fighting goblins. I'm not watching what I'm doing, and I get whacked.

I walk back to search for my stuff, and some kid starts taunting me, saying he stole my stuff and he's going to sell it all in town. I honestly didn't care, I'd only been playing for about 15 minutes, so I started replying in Spanish, like I didn't understand him. He followed me around for like 5 minutes trying to get me to beg for my stuff back, but my replies consisted of:

"?Que paso? ?Tienes mis cosas? ?Donde estan mis cosas?"

Eventually he told me I sucked and walked off.

I really want to learn a bunch of different languages now, just so I can play dumb when folks harass me online. They'll get mad, make sweeping stereotypical statements, throw some racial slurs my way, and leave.

When virtual life jacks with you, sometimes you have to create your own language barriers.

Nos vemos, suckas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home